Saturday, October 18, 2008

The American Dream

I had a rant all typed out here but decided that you have heard it all before, so I'll start over.

The American dream, I have one. Millions of immigrates have one and millions have realized it. Some don't get what the American dream is, but instead want to pull those who are the driving force behind this country, the small businesses, the working man, etc, down to the level of those who don't care to contribute or have no desire to better themselves. Abraham Lincoln said this: "Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built.

That my friend is the American dream. Success. Don't pull those that are working to succeed down to the other level, but build the other level up by their own hard work. Let them realize how hard it is to get to a certain level of success. Then they will appreciate what they have accomplished.

Modified rant over and out.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dad died when I was 12; then my mother lost her mind dramatically a few years later. Teachers took me under their wing. But it never once occurred to me that anybody could make anything happen for me except for me. The notion of entitlement is foreign, and sad.Everybody loses. Clearly, we're cut from the same cloth.

Good piece, Walk.