Thursday, January 29, 2009

Plucking Blackberries

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God,
But only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round and pluck blackberries.
-Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Who said Liz wasn't a prophet? Doesn't that describe the world today, we're all too busy with our Blackberries (she was speaking of the fruit not the smart phone, but the irony is amazing), iPhone, texting, emailing, blogging, updating our Facebook page, hitting twitter, on and on and on......So, where is our time with the One who made blackberries, cherries and the universe? Can we twitter God? "So God, s'up?" What does God's Facebook page look like? Ever got an email from Heaven?

I think we all know what we should do, even you who don't feel you "need" God. You have that little place in the back of your mind that tells you you're missing something. I know that God has his own messaging system, it's a conversation with Him. Tell Him what you think, what you're feeling. That's all He wants, most likely He won't send you to Africa, India or somewhere like that, He just wants to be part of your life. So quick plucking those Blackberries for a couple of minutes and say, "God, s'up?" Who knows, He may just tell you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God, s'up?

I think I'll use that wee prayer as my first prayer of the day, as I'm slidding out of bed. As, I'm showering, I'll wait for His guidance.

Thanks again,
Shaddy